Most people are born with good skin and hair. The sad part is that a lot of them destroy them over time due to negligence, without putting in the effort to take care of themselves.
I come across hundreds of young women looking for desperate solutions to their skin and hair problems and expecting me to wave my magic wand and tackle their issues overnight and transform them.
I would love to oblige but the truth is that nature doesn’t bloom overnight. The smallest seed of a plant also needs to be planted, nurtured and cared for before it can blossom and show its magnificence. Though we live in a world of “insta” or instant options, some things cannot be played around with.
In this article, I have conjured up some INSTA recipes (both magical and natural) that are guaranteed to work and give some fabulous results to dead looking skin and hair. So wake up and imbibe these spells into your festive look.
- For dull, oily and combination skin. Massage the skin with iced yogurt and sprinkle some sugar along with it. Now take orange halves and scrub gently until the granules melt. Wash the face with iced water and see the difference.
- For dull, tired and dry skin. Massage the skin with papaya. Then make a scrub by mixing oats and honey along with a little cold milk and scrub the skin. Wash off with ice cold milk and water and pat dry.
- Suffering from frizzy hair? Try this simple, quick and easy-to-make spray. Take slices of two lemons and simmer in two cups of water until it reduces to half the amount. Pour the liquid into a spritz bottle and spray on your hair. Not only will there be a wonderful natural sheen but static and fly away hair will be gone!
- For natural hair color. If you have a brownish tinge in your hair and don’t have the time to henna or color it, then take a few sprigs of rosemary from the kitchen shelf and simmer them in 2 cups of water along with 2 tsp black tea until it reduces to half the quantity. Mix with 1/4cup of shampoo and every time you shampoo, use this mixture. Leave the shampoo in your hair for about 15 minutes and see the difference it makes.
- For a smooth back. Planning to wear a low back blouse, backless dress or choli, but have no time to go in for a body scrub to show off a smooth back? Here’s a quick home remedy. Take 1 cup of sea salt and mix it with half a cup of olive oil. Add 5 drops of sandalwood oil and mix well. Store in a jar and scrub the areas of your body you want to flaunt. Wipe off with a wet towel.
- Dealing with under-eye bags and dark circles. Take used chamomile tea bags and store them in the freezer. Grate half a cucumber and massage around eye area and then lie down with the tea bags on your eyes for 10 minutes. You will find an instant difference in the way your eyes look and feel.
- Instant Facelift. Wash your face with ice water or simply rub an ice cube with a tsp of honey on the face. Beat an egg white until it peaks and brush it onto your skin and let dry. You will feel the stretch in the skin. wash face with icy cold water.
- Tired eyes? Long hours at work, then shopping and getting things organized for the festive season can be tiring. I would suggest you make this wonderful eye wash which will make you feel refreshed instantly. Take iced spring water in a bowl and add a few drops of rose water, 2-3 drops of honey and immerse one eye into it. You can also open your eye a little and then close it. Throw away the liquid and make the same water for the other eye and repeat the process. After this, splash the eyes with cold mineral water. There may be slight redness for some time but it will go away soon and your eyes will feel refreshed in minutes.
- Quick Hair Care. Don’t have the time to shampoo and blow dry your hair even though it is oily? Well, sweat not. Sprinkle talcum and amla powder onto your hairbrush and overturn the hair over your head and brush from the nape of the neck to the tips. Now throw your hair back and voila you have bouncy oil-free hair in minutes! So these are just a few of my secret ‘insta’ beauty recipes. Use them and enjoy but never substitute them for a regular skin and hair care regime.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Suparna Trikha writes about beauty and health products made exclusively from natural ingredients. She has always been close to Nature and for the past 16 years has conducted extensive research into the restorative power of natural herbs. She wrote the book “The Harper Collins Book of Natural Skin Care” in 1999 and has been a columnist for several newspapers and magazines worldwide. Suparna’s Natural Centre at Nizamuddin, East was started in 1996 where pure fresh ingredients are used to treat skin and hair and pamper women naturally!